CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Homemade Bread Crumbs

So, I was going to make my Swedish meatball recipe today and realized I had no bread crumbs. I am 12 miles from the nearest grocery store, and the roads aren't all cleaned up, so I improvised. One can make their own bread crumbs, we used to do it all the time at the restaurant. So, I thought I'd provide you with these very easy directions to make them.
***************************
Heat oven to 300 degrees.

Ingredients needed:
4-5 pieces of bread, any kind without seeds will work

1. Break bread pieces into small pieces and place on a sheet pan.
2. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until dried out & crunchy.
3. Remove from oven, let set for a minute.
4. Place bread pieces in blender or food processor and let them go until desired consistency. If you want coarse crumbs, stop sooner, but mostly the fine crumbs are what is wanted, so just process until they are fine.

Should make about a cup of crumbs. So just toast as much as you need or they can be stored in an air-tight container for future use.
This is also a good way to use up end pieces of bread or bread that is getting old.

0 comments: